STEM fair 2023
In the news! Follow the link to read the report in Wokingham Today.
The Evendons STEM fair is a celebration of all things STEM – science, technology, engineering and maths. Our aim is to inspire the pupils at Evendons and from neighbouring schools, by giving them the opportunity to meet a wide variety of STEM professionals. It is an excellent way to develop links with local businesses and to reinforce the links between the STEM subjects. We were also delighted to welcome staff and students from several senior schools, who shared their love of science with our primary school pupils.
The theme of the day was ‘my future in STEM’, so pupils spent the day learning about the different careers that might be available to them. From the very youngest, our children were able to articulate their preferences (e.g. civil engineering, medical scientist). Their enthusiasm was commented on by the exhibitors, who complimented the children for the interesting questions they asked about the activities and related jobs.
Karina from Gade class said, “I loved the STEM fair because the really fun activities taught me about so many different jobs in science and technology.”
Feedback from school staff team on the impact of the STEM fair:
- There is renewed vigour and passion for the subject
- Children were able to see industries, technologies and types of engineering that they’d not seen before and the chance to talk to people from those industries
- Children had access to opportunities they would never get outside of school
- Children really grasped the concept of a range of STEM careers. I know this because they produced some excellent work on jobs in STEM they would like to do as an adult the next day.
- The excitement around STEM and children thinking about what interests them, building passion and thinking forward to inspirational jobs.
We would like to thank everyone who gave up their time to help create a range of diverse and fascinating experiences for the children, including STEM ambassadors, senior schools, local societies and our own parent body and PTA.
Industry representatives attending the fair were:
Surgalign, Lonza, Safran Electrical Components UK Ltd. (SEC UK), ESO (National Grid), Kong Inc, Wood PLC, Johnson and Johnson, Wilmott Dixon, Splunk, Thames Water, RSSL, WSP, BP, Kong, NHS, APEM Components, Wokingham Active Travel, FM Global, Rockwell.
Exhibitors commented on the high level of interest and engagement shown by the children and how inspiring and meaningful the event was for all.
“It was an exciting way to bring the world of real life engineering into the school,” (Richard, Wood PLC)
“Busy, exhausting but totally worthwhile.” (Andrea, RSSL)
“An awesome introduction into all aspects of STEM for all ages of primary children” (Rob, a grandad and regular volunteer at Evendons).